Tuesday, February 9, 2016

A good discussion on "oppression olympics"

I don't normally link to Reddit threads here, but this one has a pretty interesting discussion on the concept of "oppression olympics."

As you probably know by now, I have huge issues with the online social justice movement in general, the concept of having some sort of hierarchy of oppression is only one part of that (though a particularly egregious part). Not only is it a gross oversimplification of what it means to be privileged along any axes, assuming that any one experience is indicative of "group experience" is intellectually dishonest. Women experience sexism, but not all women experience sexism in the same way. This is where intersectionality comes into play, but when activists talk about intersectionality, they only think of intersecting group identities, and often those identities are pulled-apart and vetted individually. I'm a woman, but I'm a working-class woman. Those things aren't inseparable. I'm also an autodidact and a huge goofball. Those things inform my "identity" more than what's between my legs.