Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Lost and Found (Song): Talulah Gosh by Talulah Gosh

I've only recently realized that when I write fiction I tend to set my stories in that weird netherworld of late 80s to about 1991, right before Nevermind broke and alt-rock morphed from jangly guitars to thick Seattle sludge. There was a small window of opportunity around '89 or '90 when those harder bands were just bubbling under the surface. Radio and MTV knew there was something out there called "alternative," but didn't quite know what that was just yet. For a while it was fun watching them try to figure it out.

I don't think I ever caught this video in when it originally aired, but it sure smacks of that time -- and I love every minute of it. The bright colors, the sideways baseball cap and shades, the cuffed jeans with heavy shoes, and the weird camera angles almost read like an embarrassing yearbook picture. You groan, but secretly you love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment