Thursday, May 13, 2010

Confidence is just a mixtape away

I'm going to follow Sadie's lead and make a confidence boosting mix. I'm not sure if there are any songs I use to psych myself up. I have tons that just make me feel good, but usually with a tinge of ennui. She says:

"The confidence song isn't always the coolest or the most impressive. In fact, it's often the opposite. Sometimes you don't love the artist in real life (see: R. Kelly.) Sometimes you even find the song itself "somewhat problematic" (see: "Cherry Bomb.") But whatever; this isn't about judgment. It's about that song that, for whatever reason, acts as your personal "Eye of the Tiger." My lists always involve a lot of 80s pop. But everyone's is different, obviously."

Hmmm. Okay. So I guess now is the time to officially proclaim my love for Cher's "Believe," and to admit to myself that I am a frustrated, wannabe lead singer. I love to sing; unfortunately, I don't do it very well. This usually leads to lip-syncing, which I also don't do particularly well. (RuPaul would probably have me sahsay away.) But for those three or four minutes, you're a rock star, if only in your living room. This is my lip-syncable confidence builder:

"Lust For Life" - Iggy Pop
"Wig In a Box" - Hedwig and the Angry Inch
"I Don't Know What It Is" - Rufus Wainwright
"Feelin' Good" - Nina Simone
"Onions" - Heartless Bastards
"The Great Pretender" - Freddie Mercury
"Queen Bitch" - David Bowie
"Late Night Pilgrim" - Tift Merritt
"Passionate Kisses" - Lucinda Williams
"Beast of Burden" - Bette Midler

More mixtaping:
Stomp. Clap. Stomp. Clap (The Mix) (I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS)

1 comment: