Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Rewind: Jeff Buckley - Grace

Going though some old cds the other day, I came across Jeff Buckley's Grace , one I'd almost forgotten I still owned and one I cannot divorce this record from my early college days lolling around between classes. It's striped hoodies and hackey-sack on the quad.

I have a well-documented love/hate relationship with everything 90s, mostly having to do with the whitewashing of nostalgia. Though not limited to the Clinton era, 90s nostalgia seems to exist in a world that begins with Nirvana and ends with Britney. I don't want to pretend Grace was the record that changed my life. It was a good debut record whose hype outlived its singer. But I'd be lying if I said he didn't have one of the best voices of an era marked with battered rasps and bored hipsters. Here's a good video that showcases his upper range.



And one of my favorites from Grace, his cover of "Lilac Wine."

No comments:

Post a Comment