Sunday, October 14, 2012

Earworm of the Day: Perfume Genius - Take Me Home



Mike Hadreas, aka Perfume Genius, says of his new video: "[the song] carries a very desperate feeling. In the video, I'm walking around in a very hooker-y way-- and I can't really walk in heels. At one point, truckers were whistling at me, which was both awesome and nerve-racking. There's a part of me that didn't really care, and there's another part of me that desperately hoped I'm pulling it off. I knew that the dancing could look ridiculous, but I'm still secretly hoping that I look kinda hot when I'm doing all these moves. I'm not sure why I want to share the video with people." (source )

Divorced from the video, the song itself is strong, but the images really add something -- I hate sounding so cliche -- desperate, and unsettling. Not just the mixing of genders (the football jersey, the high heels), but the almost extreme level of vulnerability a lot of male artists are unwilling to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment