Sunday, March 22, 2015

Should closeted politicians who support anti-gay legislation be outed?

No. I've given this a lot of thought, and while I wish I had a more sophisticated argument outing anyone is a violation of privacy. At best, it implies a sort of moral authoritarianism I'm not comfortable with coming from either side of the political spectrum.

Barney Frank, however, thinks they should:
“When you are in public office and you vote opposite to the way you live your life, no I don’t think you have privacy,” Frank said. “Anyone who is gay and votes in an anti-gay fashion has, it seems to me, lost their right to privacy, because it’s been converted to a right to hypocrisy.”
A few years ago, I would have agreed that hypocrisy overrules privacy. Or, at least, I would have tried my hardest to convince myself of that, but really what that's doing is holding gay, or assumed-to-be-gay politicians to a higher standard than straight ones. Condemn both. Campaign against both. Vote both out of office.