Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Bullets

  • Three things you can't count on: death, taxes, and Morrissey.
  • I wish there were more feminist-leaning spaces that weren't also survivor spaces. I'm not trying to minimize that -- to the contrary, I do think they're important and if people get a sense of community of acceptance or validation from them, more power to them -- but personally, I'm a little ill-equipped to offer anything but empathy (and if I'm completely honest here, I fall short on that too). And at the risk of coming off insensitive, I'm tired of fighting with ideologues. It's become unfashionable to talk about things abstractly or philosophically, which makes sense if you're dealing with people's actual lives, but sometimes I want to talk about feminism without talking about women's victimization, which is the genesis of most of my criticism. I don't think that's an unreasonable request.
  • "It’s unfortunate that under the law people have the right to sell these things, but it doesn’t mean they should sell these things,” said Joshua Sayles, assistant regional director of the state’s ADL chapter. 'It’s not a crime but I would call it hate. People look at the situation in Charleston and say it’s down in the South. But this stuff is here in Connecticut.'" (link) For a private individual to sell something, even something egregiously distasteful, it's very fortunate that it's not illegal. Yeah, I don't like it either, but I don't want to consider the alternative.
  • Personal grief: articles that instruct women (and it's usually women) over thirty how to "dress like a grown-up," which means dress entirely heteronormatively, but not too sexy, be aware that you are still dressing for men (um, even if you are not), and don't try to compete with teenagers because you won't win.