Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Bullets

  • The expectation that a woman must write about women's issues, and write about them within certain parameters is severely limiting. Most of the things I'm interested in have nothing to do with having a uterus.
  • I've been blogging in some capacity for nearly a decade. My personal blogging has always been more a vanity project than a money-making scheme, and I've all but stopped promoting this one in the places I use to (my inability to stick to the script has a lot to do with that), but I'm itching to change up or start a new project. I can tell when apathy has set in when I'm reduced to bullet posts or videos. And I'm pretty sure everyone else can, too. The problem is stand-alone blogging is a thing of the past now, but it's far better than Tumblr or Facebook if your goal is to actually write. Most blogging communities have disappeared also. 
  • I just picked up Jonathan Franzen's new book Purity after being stuck in the library queue for over a month.  I'm sure I'll find something to like about as I have all of Franzen's books, which is somehow a bad thing now. Not because his books are bad, but because of various things he's said in the media or simply because he's a straight, white man who's garnered a lot of critical acclaim throughout his career. The seepage of identity politics into mainstream criticism is reward for intellectual laziness.