Sunday, November 8, 2015

Agaisnt their better interests

I want to clarify a tweet I left yesterday about working-class white voters voting against their better interests, a common trope among middle-class liberals. Sometimes what their voting for is their moral interests, something middle-and-upper class white liberals do all the time. Of course, when working-class white people vote for conservative politics, because they may be conservative or, at least, traditional, they're doing so because they're misguided, or racist, or just too stupid. As a working-class white person who does support liberal candidates, I'm very familiar with this line of thinking, and I'm frequently shouted down or shut out of arguments about the very things that help working-class people. It's easy to become distrustful of institutions that work for me, when those same institutions reinforce how ignorant you are.