Monday, November 16, 2015

Bullets

  • I started this book, a recommendation from Goodreads, and it's so bad I'm not even going to bother naming it. Let's just call it Vaguely spiritual hipster thinks he's insightful because he feels all the feeling or something.
  • I also picked up Dodie Bellamy's new collection When The Sick Rule The World. I've always been a fan of -- and I hate to use this word because it's brimming with pretension -- "New Narrative": Bellamy, Kathy Acker, Dennis Cooper, Gary Indiana... The sad thing is a lot of the work from the 80s and early 90s, because it stood far outside the mainstream and, let's face, a lot of it didn't age well, is so hard to find. I was surprised my library even stocked the new collection. They have nothing by Dennis Cooper (gah, I went through a huge Dennis Cooper period in the late 90s), only Eileen Myles's poetry, and, I think, only two of Kathy Acker's novels. It's all very rooted in that 80s, AIDS, punk rock, subversive underground, which has been a huge inspiration of mine. I don't want it to be forgotten.
  • NaNo. No update. I'm far ahead, but writing crap. Not even editable crap, just crap at this point.