Monday, November 23, 2015

NaNoWriMo '15: Done

I finished a few days ago. I say finished, not "won," because I never feel as though I've won anything other than another draft of a story that may or may not be edited into something respectable. I know that's not the goal of NaNo: the goal is to get out of your fucking head. Or to learn time management skills, since writing 50,000 words in a month doesn't happen without a lot of planning. (Even if you "pants" it, you're still planning out the time it takes to write your "pantsed" novel.)

It's not as much of a disaster as I thought it was, even the parts I wrote on cold medicine, to which I had a paradoxical reaction and instead of being drowsy I became hyper and a little nutty. I highly recommend writing while altered. (Not actually altering yourself with illicit substances because that would be stupid, of course.)