Friday, April 22, 2011

Links & Bits for 4/22/11

Katie Makkai on "Pretty" (video and transcript courtesy of Sociological Images)



POC on the DL: Color-coding and Your Favorite TV Shows (Racialicious)
Prime-time television shows may be a lot more diverse than we give them credit for. And before you jump down my throat, think about it: Darren Criss from Glee? Part Filipino. Morena Baccarin on V is of Latin American origins. And Jesse Williams of Grey’s Anatomy—part black, part Scandinavian. See? That’s three more actors you didn’t think of as POC.
Black Female Sexuality in the Metal Scene (Writing is Fighting)
I still haven't quite figured it out yet. In my book, I write about how the presence of Black female rock / metal musicians is an important visual for me. I love the power of performing a white-male dominated music, I love the attitude and the raw sexuality that emanates from a woman on that stage. We are told that we are unwanted, unloved, invisible, but when you see someone like Tamar-Kali perform, or hell, even Erykah Badu perform, you are mesmerized.

No comments:

Post a Comment