Sunday, April 10, 2011

Music Diary Project: I'm Done

tapes

Call it a near win.

I'm stopping right here, and not logging music this weekend because I'm not the kind of music listener this project is groomed for. And it only took me a week to figure this out.

I came in with good intentions, thinking it would inspire me to write about my relationship with music. But we're not exactly lovers in the throes of passion. We're more like cubicle mates politely nodding hello over morning coffee. I think the biggest lesson I learned, what I touched briefly on yesterday, is that I don't use music in an emotional or sentimental way. It's not something that's always a part of my life, though it is a part of my livelihood. How did this happen? I'm not a professional musician, and I only play at being a music critic online. Theoretically, I shouldn't have such a clinical relationship to music.

I think another big part of it is that music listening is a very solitary activity for me these days. I usually don't have that interaction with other people, and how music is effecting them. This is mostly a product of age, but something I'm not ashamed of. My club days are definitely over, and I rarely go to concerts. I'm not around people who are constantly playing music. I prefer NPR in the car, and I usually leave my iPod at home. I just don't listen to the volume of music I once did. Three of this week's entries came from workout playlists.

So was it a complete loss? Absolutely not, but I'm better equipped for other things besides logging what I'm listening to.

(The rest of this week's music diary posts)

No comments:

Post a Comment