Friday, May 6, 2011

Links & Bits for 5/6/11

Women in Rock: Tamar-kali (The F-Word)
I definitely identify as a womanist/feminist. I live my life knowing my worth as a human presence on this planet could never be eclipsed by my gender, that’s ludicrous to me. Based on the power structure in which we exist I walk this planet in the path of the ‘other’ and my lyrics reflect that; my rage, my hopes and the challenges I face. I do not write with political intention but the fact that I am a black woman telling my story in the context that I do makes it a political act in itself.
Will Gaga's $1 Million Donation To Gay Youth Actually Reach Gay Youth? (Queerty)
Not one to let a social media campaign escape her, Lady Gaga is letting her Facebook fans decide how she should donate a million dollars. Though she certainly could use a new creative director and better prosthetics, you can’t argue with Gaga for going the more charitable route with her gay-earned dollars. The artist better known for making awesome music videos to otherwise terrible pop songs has partnered with the Robin Hood Foundation in New York to give $1 million to five non-profits working with homeless or at-risk LGBT youth.
Oh, by the way Queerty's back!

Thoughts on United States of Tara (Womanist Musings)
There is a huge part of me that is happy to see a disabled character at the center of the show, and another part of me that worries about whether or not the portrayal is realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment