Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Lady/Genius

This recent Question of the Day from Shakesville reminds me of something I read at Jezebel a few years ago: why are so few female artists affixed with the "genius" label, or a handful of others for that matter like wunderkind? Or prodigy? To be honest, I agree with the writer of the Jez article: the word genius is too hastily tossed around. A good composer, a good arranger, a good singer or a good lyricist is just that, but not a "genius" in the dictionary-sense of the word. (Okay, I admit I have a pretty narrow view of the word "genius.") IThat being said, women aren't thought of as masters of their craft.

When I was in grade school, I was a good student. So was S. He was the class brain while I just "worked really hard." See the parallel here? Men are inherently gifted, while women have to work at it. And there's nothing wrong with working for something, but women's talent are seen as something conditional while men's are innate. It's not "hers," but instead something acquired. (Unless it come from some "witchy-poo" place -- see Bjork, et al. -- and then she has no agency whatsoever.)

No comments:

Post a Comment