Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Earworm of the Day: Monkees - Sweet Young Thing




I have a weird relationship to 60s rock. I found the Monkees long before I'd ever heard of the Beatles via late-night reruns. This was twenty years after the fact, but the boy bands of my generation didn't quite exist yet (it would be another three years before New Kids on the Block hit the scene, and by then I was too old for 'tween bands). My first official concert was a Monkees reunion show (with Weird Al opening) minus Mike Nesmith who was clearly the brains of the outfit, and the only true songwriter.

Granted, Peter will always my sentimental favorite (and I spent far too much of my high school years pining after sweet-faced hippy boys to prove it), but Mike is my intellectual favorite, and here's one of his long-forgotten songs that never seems to show up on 60s comps or nostalgia shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment