Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Breaking: Women Hate Their Bare Faces

Congratulations cosmetics makers, you beat feminism.

Via Jezebel:
"According to a survey of 1,292 women, conducted by Harris Interactive on behalf of The Renfrew Center Foundation, 44% said they use makeup to hide flaws. The number of women who said they have negative feelings about themselves when they aren't wearing makeup was also 44%. Negative feelings about, you know, their actual face. Which, in most cases, is relatively normal, with two eyes framed by eyebrows, a nose, a mouth and skin that keeps germs and debris from entering the bloodstream. 48 % said they preferred the way they look with makeup."
Full disclosure: I'm one of those progressive-minded women who still hasn't given up the paint. I don't do a lot of femininity otherwise, and wearing some makeup is the difference between someone commenting that I look tired or unpolished. I'm not a fun "choose my choice" feminist, unaware that her choice don't actually exist within a bubble. I know my patriarchy-approved visage grants me privileged I wouldn't barefaced.

I hate that the narrative around these studies is one that insists that all cosmetic enhancement is the direct result of chronic self-loathing when it actually goes a little deeper than that. At least examine why women hate their naked faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment