Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Margaret Cho on "Queer"

last.fm
This is more than a few months old, but Margaret Cho's piece for the Huffington Post simply titled "Queer" came across my Tumblr dashboard the other day and I wanted to link it here because it clears up a lot of myths about what it means to be queer:
"Often people are curious about the fact that I am married to a man but call myself queer. It's because I have had sex with more than one person, and I had unmarried sex quite a few times, and roughly half the people have been men and the other half have been women, and then there were a few people in between those genders who identified in differing ways, so it's up to me to define myself, too, and so that would be queer. It's the most fitting description, short and concise, and really to-the-point. I don't know why it's a difficult concept to understand. Most of the people I know have had sex with more than one person, and many have sex outside marriage. I just happen to have had it with people all along the gender scale."

No comments:

Post a Comment