Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Are call-out blogs productive?

I'm a longtime reader, and sometime commenter, of an ostensibly feminist ladyblog. Said ladyblog (which I actually have linked to quite a few times here, for praise and criticism) has its fair share of race and class failure, while catering, overwhelmingly, to young, middle-upper-middle, coastal, heteronormative women. In other words, it's not that different from a lot of mainstream sites geared toward women. And while it doesn't advertise as explicitly feminist, it's been a lot of women's gateway to the feminist blog world.

If it isn't painfully obvious which site I'm talking about, it begins with a "J" and ends with an "ezebel." I wanted to maintain some sense of anonymity while not naming names, but reading the description I just wrote, it's not really possible.

A little over a year ago, I discovered a handful of Tumblrs (one now defunct) dedicated to pointing out the bigoted, misguided, entitled, and just plain ludicrous things posted to this site. I've been critical of call-out culture before -- not call-outs themselves, but the kind of nastiness online pile-ups bring -- so reading these sites makes me feel a little hypocritical. On one hand, when the editors all but disallow criticism to the point of banning users, having these sites around are a welcome relief, especially when shit's going down. On another, where do you draw the line? Only the editors and writers are fair game, or the commentariat, too? Yeah, there's enough nastiness within the comments that it often merits a slap-down, but as I mentioned, Jezebel, for better or worse,  is a lot of young women's introduction to feminism. They're going to make mistakes, too, and be less than ideologically perfect.

I realize just how unfair it is for any place to be a testing ground for those new to feminism. It's a women's blog, not a women's studies class, but some of what's published is pretty cringeworthy. Ouch. I was that naive once, and I'm glad the internet didn't exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment