Friday, April 27, 2012

Links & Bits: The Atlantic tackles Jack White's "Woman Problem"

Remember more than a year ago, when I said that an article that claimed that Jack White was some sort of highly evolved rock dude because he did the unspeakable and promoted music made by women left an unexplainable bad taste in my mouth? Maybe this is the explanation:
In one of his first ever on-the-record comments about gender, White told Josh Eells in the New York Times magazine recently that he doesn't want to define roles for the women he knows: "I've always felt it's ridiculous to say, of any of the females in my life: You're my friend, you're my wife, you're my girlfriend, you're my co-worker. 'This is your box, and you're not allowed to stray outside of it.'"
White's a famous control freak, and in his songs, women are constantly threatening his control, forcing him into playing the role of victim.
But as White avers in the same interview, he often stretches the truth with reporters, and his statement makes more sense in the context of his music when it's flipped: What White really seems to dislike is when women choose their own boxes. He's a famous control freak, and in his songs, women are constantly threatening his control, forcing him into playing the role of victim. His response? Vitriol.
(Via The Atlantic)

No comments:

Post a Comment