Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Breaking: Celebrities Have Pores

Celebrity Close-Up 
I spent a good chunk of yesterday afternoon pouring over Celebrity Close-Up.

I found the site buried in the comments of an old Shakesville post. Apparently, another website (whom I won't give the satisfaction of naming) used some of its images in a "scary celebrity close-up" feature notably this shot of indie dream girl, Zooey Dechanel.

Following?

I don't see scary. I see makeup. The kind of makeup that looks good in a full-length red carpet picture (accompanied by a pricey gown), but up close looks like, well, lots of makeup. I have to agree with the Shakers here: if even our ideals of perfection don't hold up to Hollywood's standards, then who can?

Granted, it's 101-Feminism, but when websites largely run by dudes point to a woman's pores and facial hairs -- things that naturally occur on human skin -- it's a little disheartening to think we're still at a place where absolute perfection is expected. And for the record, I like the Tumblr site. I see lots of great smiles and expressive eyes, and yes, pores, acne, lines, and other evidence of humanity. Imagine that.

No comments:

Post a Comment