Sunday, November 18, 2012

Meta: Blogging About Blogging

I try not to do this too often, or at the very least, separate the act of writing from the act of blogging. (Yes, I know, blogging isn't some sort of sub-writing, but it's easy to do it half-assed.)

She Writes posted a few blogging tips for published authors, or those wishing to become published authors, that work well for anyone wanting their writing to reach an audience. This one made me cheer a little:
"Write posts that are 500-800 words, at least once a week, preferably on the same day, staying focused on your topic."
I typically write short posts. It's easy to lose focus writing longer ones, and generally people read shorter posts. Though when I see bloggers constantly posting 2000-word screeds daily, well, for one I wonder when those bloggers find the time; and two, reading those post out loud, unless they are really, really well researched, they tend to meander a bit from the original topic. I used to write for a popular women's site where, and my contract specified posts be around 500 words. I tend to think of that as the standard. A lot of times, I go under that standard.

Granted, most bloggers can write more than that on a topic they are passionate about, but when I see those lines and lines of text on other blogs, I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, or just slacking.

No comments:

Post a Comment