Saturday, January 26, 2013

Feminism: You're Doing It Wrong

I know this article is supposed to be taken lightly and with tongue firmly planted in cheek, but the overall tenor irks me: ladies. you spend too much time worrying that a handful of really popular, really awesome women are "doing feminism wrong."

I hate the "bad feminist" charge as much as the next humorless feminist (see what I did there?), but a lot of the criticisms in that piece are valid, and should be explored further. And no, it doesn't mean those women are any less awesome, just that certain aspects of their work is -- say it with me -- problematic. You don't have to ditch your Taylor Swift records because she exploits the bad girl/good girl trope almost excessively, but there's nothing wrong with being aware that she does.

No comments:

Post a Comment