Sunday, February 17, 2013

"So why don't you move?"

Over at Flyover Feminism , Kristen answered the question that many progressives (blue dots) living in conservative parts of the U.S. (red states) have had to confront: why don't you leave? She does a great job of defending her choice to stay in the south, which, if you're continuing to do good work and supporting candidates who actually work toward creating equality, I don't think you should have to, but I think the whole "blue dot in a red state" argument is lacks nuance.

I've written about it before, and maybe my situation is a little different because I live in a blue-ish city in an otherwise red state, but because of the people I choose to surround myself with, I'm as ensconced in a liberal bubble as someone who lives in a more progressive part of the country. I still have to answer to state law, but I think it's fair to point out that living in a red state doesn't always mean small town, evangelical, or rural.

Granted, I should point out I'm still privileged on quite a few axes. But would I move? I would. Except for my family, there's nothing that's really binding me here. Had I the resources, I probably would have moved ages ago, but I'm comfortable here, and my family is here, and I think that's reason enough. Or at least, it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment