Monday, March 4, 2013

Can men write believable female characters?

The Atlantic has a good article  on how authors fail when writing from the opposite gender's perspective,* and particularly how often men fail at creating believable female characters.

I don't buy that it's impossible, or that men are somehow wholly incapable of writing those mysterious creatures known as women, but there really are few examples, particularly among literary fiction, where men success at creating three-dimensional female characters:
Two hugely popular authors, Jonathan Franzen and Jeffrey Eugenides, for example, are known for full-bodied, decade-spanning novels. But their female characters? "Franzen's women are confused and masochistic," claims [Katha] Pollitt. "The female lead in Eugenides' The Marriage Plot is the least interesting of the three major characters." Literary critic and writer Sarah Seltzer is a bit kinder, but agrees that a double standard endures. "I doubt whether a female novelist who so obviously bungled/sidelined a major male character as Eugenides did, would get the same slack from readers and critics."
As writers, I love both Jonathan Franzen and Jeffrey Eugenides, but I and a lot of readers agree that they have some obvious "lady issues." And I think it's probably true that women are better at creating male characters than men are at creating female ones, simply because, as novelist Sally Koslow states, the canon is overwhelmingly male. We're used to reading plenty of complex, nuanced male characters. (Plus women tend to be judged more harshly by critics and readers alike.)

I am not a published writer (at least not of fiction), but I often write outside my own perspective. It really isn't that difficult once you remember that women aren't a monolith (neither are gay men, Native Americans, 14-year-old boys, and child prodigies -- I am none of these things, but I have created characters who are). What bothers me most about the "I can't write X" excuse is that so many writers think there's a magical formula, or some prescribed way of thinking or acting that is "correct" for any group, and going outside it ultimately leads to failure. Stereotyping and creating wooden characters leads to failure.

* For the sake of clarity, I'm using binary terms.

No comments:

Post a Comment