Sunday, May 5, 2013

Currently Reading

Kate's Butch Please series for Autostraddle

I really liked the piece on misogyny in lesbian spaces:
"Oftentimes when I am in a place occupied by butches and men, masculinity becomes a kind of currency. Butches start talking about how they've "fucked more girls" than the men, "gotten more pussy" and are "better in bed." Their sexual partners become objects rather than humans. If there are women in the room, their objectification seems to be a bonding mechanism for the butches and men, laughing about who has the best ass, the best tits, who they'd fuck or not fuck. I can show a picture of my girlfriend to a man and know I will get instant respect from him based on her attractiveness. I know that because I've done it in the past, and that respect felt good to me, like my masculinity was confirmed by "the source." And that, my friends, is unbelievably fucked up. The patriarchy barters and trades with women as currency, and in those moments, we are doing the same thing."

1 comment:

  1. Fucked up, isn't it? It's a common misconception that all lesbians are feminists, but so many just put on pants and perpetuate the worst kind of stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete