Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Is it ever appropriate to intervene?

In the decade or so since I started reading blogs, there have been quite a few times I've worried about the mental health of certain bloggers. This presents several problems. No one wants to be accused of concern trolling , and most online relationships are precarious, at best. But if someone seems in danger of harming themselves, or someone else, do we as an audience even get to make that call?

I was around when this happened. I liked Thordora's not-so glamorous take on motherhood, and found her dark sense of humor appealing. It never occurred to me that she might not be joking, but apparently others saw it as a threat.

That was five years ago, and since then, there have been times when I've read something that triggered my "person in peril" response, but didn't do anything because who am I, an internet phantom, to intervene. I don't even really know this person.

Just throwing this out there: where do you draw the line?

No comments:

Post a Comment