Thursday, June 27, 2013

Google Reader is about to go dark

In less than a week, Google Reader will power down. A lot of you probably already know this, and those of you who don't are asking "what's a reader?" For those of us who have to weed through a lot of feeds, Google Reader is a lifesaver. For the past six years, I've practically lived out of mine.

My go-to replacement so far is Bloglovin, but I'm anxious to try Digg's new reader. (I didn't get an invite -- boo.) I prefer something basic that I can use online, and so far Bloglovin provides that, but I miss the search function that allowed me to search just the feeds I subscribed to. And it's kind of annoying that everything now requires a Facebook (or Twitter) log-in, but I'm old.

1 comment:

  1. I'm using Feedly. It's similar enough to Google Reader that I felt comfortable with it pretty quickly, which I could not say about a couple other readers I tried. Not sure about search. It provides migration from Google Reader and logs in via Google.

    ReplyDelete