Tuesday, June 18, 2013

How to be a woman: don't let someone else tell you how to be a woman

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be parody or sarcasm, but I think I can figure it out for myself, thank you. I do want to talk about point #4, which is causing quite a bit of anger from the readers:
4. If you get raped, share your story. Make sure your voice is heard. But don’t prosecute him. You’re above that. This is how you win.
The overall tenor of the comment section is that it's irresponsible not to prosecute, but there are plenty or reasons why someone wouldn't prosecute a rape, and I don't think anyone should be vilified for not prosecuting their rapist. The law doesn't treat everyone the same, even victims -- sometimes especially victims. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be considered a "good" victim in the eyes of the law, and I can see not prosecuting. Also, sharing your story is a pretty powerful thing, but if you don't feel safe, or just don't want to, you shouldn't feel forced to.

No comments:

Post a Comment