Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Feminism and 101 Spaces

One thing I hear over and over in the feminist blogosphere describing various sites is "this is not a 101 space." There are actually a few blogs dedicated to entry-level feminism (Finally, A Feminism 101 Blog and Geek Feminism's Feminism 101 are two good ones), but 101 feminism is somewhat of a nebulous term. What if someone needs something beyond entry-level feminism, but doesn't speak the language of the feminist and social justice blogosphere? Even if you could make the argument that the feminist blog world isn't necessarily academic, it is very insular. And when it's actually tethered to classroom feminism, does that mean those whose knowledge of feminism came piecemeal and not courtesy of a formal women's studies course, does that mean they shouldn't participate?

Of course the answer is no. I don't think anyone would actively argue that only those with x-credits in gender studies can participate, but I include myself in that last statement. I have no formal credentials other than being on the receiving end of sexism and misogyny -- which should be enough -- but I know that whenever I screw up, my lack of education can always be sited as a reason. It may not be. I could have just been careless that day, or tried too hard to be flip and clever, but in the back of my mind, I know I can be ousted for not knowing enough.

I think the best sites mix beginning feminism with more advanced theory, and don't assume that those without classroom experience can't handle the more theory-heavy stuff. We're still talking about real people's lives here, and that should precede ideology.



No comments:

Post a Comment