Thursday, February 20, 2014

Progress

For the current WIP:


  • Wrote a new outline with chapters more clearly defined. For most people, this is a pretty important step in the writing process, usually done before writing, but I've always been resistant to outlining. I thought it stifled creativity. It doesn't. I thought outlining was mere procrastination before the "real writing." It's not. I cut my writing time in half when I have a good outline. For me, though the first draft of anything is always the "scrub draft" -- more note taking than actual storytelling. Writing an outline afterward helps me better organize and see the bigger problems. No one sees my scrub drafts. Ever.
  • I don't write linearly. My WIP is in pieces. Pieces I have to knit together somehow. I'll have Friday afternoon free, and I plan on literally laying everything out on the floor and seeing where it goes. I don't really recommend this, by the way. 
  • Clean it up. Fix the big problems first, then tackle the smaller, micro-editing. Only then will I have something I can honestly call a draft, which means something I wouldn't be ashamed to bring to a workshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment