Thursday, March 27, 2014

Tyler Glenn on Coming Out

Tyler Glenn, lead singer of the band Neon Trees, came out in an interview with Rolling Stone this week, Then he made some really important points about gaydar and "obvious" outings via his Facebook page:
It was the moment I let myself write about the years spent in falling for my straight friend or the song I let myself write about thinking it was ok to be alone forever because it was better than explaining myself. It was those truths that came out before I decided to. You can’t hide away forever. I don’t think i was even trying. But music never let me lie. Something always would come out in the songs. 
So now you know what you may have always assumed. Good for you. How does it feel? Do you want a “gaydar” award? Do you want to be pat on the back because you can “spot them”? 
It is not news. It is not meant to be salacious. Until you know what it’s like to hide, to keep away true happiness out of fear. That’s when you truly understand what it’s like. It’s not about coming out to wave a flag in another’s face. At least it’s not for me. For me its about finding the purist of peace. The absolute settling of my soul. The clearest vision of the road I want to take.
(Via Queerty )

No comments:

Post a Comment