Thursday, July 9, 2015

Bullets (with extra Beyonce, Rihanna, Hillary)

  • This is really a thing now?
  • Speaking of Beyonce, there's something I've been wanting to correct for a while now, that probably warrants a longer post buy for now I'll try to summarize as best as I can: years ago I firmly believed that music could be neatly separated into two camps: art and commerce. Music made by woman and POC is largely considered commerce, while music made by white guys with guitars is art. The whole of music criticism depended on this -- and it was a huge problem. I don't think that way now, watching several critics bend over backwards to praise pop artists as some sort of atonement for the sings of the past. (There's even a term for it: poptimism.)This is mostly generational, given I came of age during a time when there was a thicker line between commercial and non-commercial music. But I also agree with Freddie deBoer that this cultural shorthand can be used in place of actual politics, and that's a bigger problem.
  • Jill Stein is "some other woman," that is if you're shopping for a female candidate for president who isn't Hillary.
  • Your feminist outrage for the day. I can see both camps making valid points, at least within certain prescribed liberal narratives, but you know what? I'm sick of feeling obligated to politicize everything.