Sunday, July 18, 2010

Lost and Found (Song): The Raincoats - No One's Little Girl

This song came up on my Last.fm playlist the other day, and it got me thinking about all the "angry women in rock" (not my words; I hate this cliche) songs of the 90s that everyone's waxing nostalgic about today. Despite missing the boat on riot grrrl, I did listen to a lot of the early, female-fronted punks bands coming out of England. I want to say I found this on my own, but I'm guessing I only know The Raincoats because they were namechecked by Kurt Cobain, but that was impetus enough to check out a band I wouldn't have otherwise.

"The Raincoats are a British post-punk band. Ana da Silva (vocals, guitar) and Gina Birch (vocals, bass) formed the group in 1977 while they were students at Hornsey College of Art, London, England.

Since 1996, The Raincoats have played some special events such as Robert Wyatt's Meltdown in 2001, at Chicks on Speed's 99 Cents album release in Berlin in December 2003. da Silva and Birch recently recorded a cover version of "Monk Chant" for a compilation album of The Monks songs called Silver Monk Time, and performed the song live with the Monks in the Volksbuehne, Berlin in October 2006. They played at Ladyfest Leeds in April 2007 and the Nuits Sonores Festival in Lyon on 18 May 2007 on the Girl Monster stage with Chicks on Speed. On 28 March 2009 The Raincoats-Fairytales-A Work in Progress, directed by Gina Birch and produced by The Raincoats was screened at the BFI in London and the band performed at Donaufestival on the Girl Monster stage with Girl Monster Orchestra on 25 April. It was recently announced that the band have been chosen by Matt Groening to perform at the edition of the All Tomorrow's Parties festival he is curating in May 2010 in Minehead, England."
(Wikipedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment