Friday, August 13, 2010

Links & Bits for 8/13/10

Burn, Baby, burn (Dorothy Surrenders)
"I’ve been bothered by Eminem and Rihanna’s “Love the Way You Lie” video since it debuted last week. Actually, I’d been bothered by the song since it came out several weeks ago. Is her rapping about, wait, yes, he’s rapping about how he and his wife used to beat the shit out of each other. All righty then. Now, granted, it’s unmistakably catchy. Eminem has always had a way with a hook. Still the song also follows the musical gimmick du jour of having a pretty female vocalist sing a few pretty verses in between all the hip hop. (p.s. “Ghetto Supastar” called and wants its idea back."

9 Definitive Elements of Every Tegan & Sara Video (Autostraddle)
"Northshore is the shortest video they’ve ever made, and yet it managed to include almost every idiosyncrasy Laura and I noted when we watched their videos like real people with a job if that job was to watch Tegan & Sara videos."

Pink's New Video Goes a 'Little' Too Far (The Ms. Education of Shelby Knox)
"That’s the evil, sticky wicket of privilege: you can’t really know what oppressions a certain group faces unless you’re part of that group and therefore don’t innately know what words, references, or depictions might be triggering or problematic. That’s not an excuse for being discriminatory. The key to combating privilege induced mistakes like this one is to run it by members of that group and really listen to what they have to say."

Carrie Brownstein of Sleater-Kinney to Score Feminist Art Documentary (Paste)
"While Corin Tucker prepares to release a full-length with her new band, Sleater-Kinney’s Carrie Brownstein has been writing a score for Lynn Hershman Leeson’s feminist art documentary, !Women Art Revolution."

Moments of Gold and Flashes of Light: Hairbrush Anthems (I Fry Mine In Butter)
"This hairbrush anthem was popular in my DoDDs high school with just about every single girl I knew. Publicly, I tended to shun the song as I didn’t want to appear to be a follower, but when it was just me and the hairbrush I put on the cassingle furtively and sang my heart out."

No comments:

Post a Comment