Friday, July 1, 2011

Links & Bits for 7/1/11

Today's Reason to Talk About Julie Goldman (Autostraddle)
Also, last year, in glorious, sunny Palm Springs California, while attending the legendary Dinah Shore Weekend, Julie Goldman, of Julie and Brandy In Your Box Office, opened my beer bottle, twice. Later that very same day, Julie Goldman went on to deliver what would instantly become Autostraddle’s Mission Statement, as captured by this home video (which is, by virtue of it being our mission statement...
Rain on My Pride Parade (Feministe)
Queer people are people after all; flawed, prejudiced, we all carry and perpetuate the effects of injustice in our marginalized communities, whatever they may be. I’ve experienced racism (and all sorts of other “isms”) in queer communities before; I myself am continuing to unlearn the effects of internalized oppressions and prejudices, many of which I have no idea I am even participating in until someone calls me out, so I know the work is hard and painful and never ending. I know that no community is completely free of oppressive forces, but the point is that we work through this, that we are reflexive and respectful and humble and honest. And willing to do the work.
Abercrombie & Fitch Fires Woman for Wearing Headscarf (Jezebel)
They've attempted to sell padded bikini tops to kids, discriminated against people with disabilities, and now they're being sued for firing a former employee who refused to remove her headscarf.

No comments:

Post a Comment