Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Bullets

  • Someone let out the most blood-curdling, feral scream I've ever heard emitted from another human being the other night, then the cops came and.... nothing? 
  • This Popehat post detailing Gamergate is excellent, even if I don't buy all of it. The Alinsky breakdown took a lot of thought, but I don't think there is some sort of conscious effort on the part of feminists to infiltrate traditionally male communities like gaming. Most of them just want to play. Some are ideologues who want to dismantle systems of oppression, but for the ones who just want a place at the table and not feel obligated to drag politics into it, it's difficult to be a part of that world without being accused of internalized misogyny or "doing it for the 'peen," as one Tumblr blogger succinctly put it.
  • Montage of Heck. Watched this. Most of it anyway. (It's loooong, but I think I know how it ends.) The overall impression critics is that it really "de-mystifies" or "de-mythologizes" the Cobain's posthumous image, but writers have been doing that for years. It's less hagiographic than I'd expected, considering that romanticizing rock star suicide has been a viable career choice for many a critic. I like that it was unafraid to show Cobain as sometimes unlikeable; the banality of the home movie scenes.