Monday, September 7, 2015

Bullets



  • That moment when you get a new phone and inadvertently take 15 pictures of your cat's butt because you hit multi-shot mode by mistake? Old lady, new technology.
  • I'm up to number two in the library queue for Jonathan Franzen's new book Purity, and I'm not reading any of the reviews. Not because I don't want to be spoiled but because I know exactly what they'll say, particularly those coming from the leftist-feminist-activist world. The truth is, I shouldn't have to think about what feminists' think of a book, but because it's seeped its way into culture in a way that there are now "rules" for how books (or any art I guess) should be viewed, I assume I'm not supposed to like it. And I haven't even read the damn thing!
  • Chrissie Hynde is a slut-shamer? This article is a good-counterpoint to that meme. I agree with this, too: "I think Hynde is being way too hard on herself. It sounds, to me, like she’s angry with her younger self for being so naïve. Maybe taking the blame is her way of feeling in control after being made to feel so helpless?" (Bolded mine.) As a means of taking back control, probably not the healthiest, but the world isn't a gender studies class.