Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Thoughts

Cortney from Feminism/Popular Culture said something that really resonated with me:
I am angry because around every corner I see evidence that men hate women and am told that I am crazy because I see it. And for once I am not going to qualify that statement and say “some men” or “institutional systems of oppression.” I am just going to say that men hate women because that is sure as hell what it looks like a lot of the time.
As far as bloggers go, I'm invisible. I know this is the primary reason I rarely have to deal with trolls, but I have spent a large chunk of my life online, and I believe her. Leaving the (relative) safety of the feminist blogosphere, I almost expect taunts, name-calling and outright dismissal. It happens. And it's incredibly disheartening and sometimes frightening, but, sadly, not shocking anymore. I think this is what Tracy Clark-Flory calls "Feminist Outrage Fatigue™":
There comes a time in every ladyblogger's life when your capacity for shock and disgust plateaus. I like to call it Feminist Outrage Fatigue.™ We all suffer it from time to time, and the only cure is something so backwards, despicable and downright evil that you are jolted out of your shoulder-shrugging apathy.
I made the mistake of reading the comments on the two Salon  articles regarding the #mooreandme  protest. I haven't said much -- to be honest, I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said a million times over -- opting instead to retweet and link because this is important: what Sady and Kate and anyone else putting their hearts and selves did with #mooreandme was so incredibly inspiring. Let's not forget that.

No comments:

Post a Comment