Thursday, October 20, 2011

Bookshelf Updates


Record Collecting for Girls: Unleashing Your Inner Music Nerd, One Album at a Time
Bubblegum Music Is the Naked Truth: The Dark History of Prepubescent Pop, from the Banana Splits to Britney Spears
Everything I'm Cracked Up to Be: A Rock & Roll Fairy Tale
Girls Like Us: Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon--And the Journey of a Generation
Songs in Black and Lavender: Race, Sexual Politics, and Women's Music
The Hip-Hop Wars: What We Talk About When We Talk About Hip-Hop--and Why It Matters
It Still Moves: Lost Songs, Lost Highways, and the Search for the Next American Music
Out of the Vinyl Deeps: Ellen Willis on Rock Music
Girl Power: The Nineties Revolution in Music
Right by Her Roots: Americana Women and Their Songs
Route 666: On the Road to Nirvana
Girl Groups, Girl Culture: Popular Music and Identity in the 1960s






















I've been trying to keep my list of music and pop culture criticism penned by women updated. (The bookshelf link at the top takes you to the full list.) I'll admit, it's been a challenge. It's not that there aren't great books out there, but there's hard to find, or published by smaller presses, or just plain unheralded in the boy's club of music journalism. Because I don't always have the cash to buy books, I rely a lot on my local library. Unfortunately, their collection of music criticism is pitifully small, so I really need your help here. If there are any books written by female critics I've missed, leave them in the comments and I'll add them to the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment