Monday, December 26, 2011

Is it the media's responsibility to educate?

Last.fm
(TW for transphobic slurs)

When I read Lance Bass's apology for his using the slur "trannies" on Access Hollywood, and his subsequent HuffPo  post (via Queerty), I was a little put off by this:
I am disappointed that the media outlets don't reach out to me, or Neil, or Kelly, when something like this happens, but instead post their headlines first, excited that it will mean that they will get more traffic and possibly even picked up by a nightly entertainment news show. I am disappointed that our community isn't ever able to come together and educate each other and educate everyone else in the process from a constructive place, always coming instead from a defensive place. No matter what I say or do now, it will look as though I am trying to spin the situation and save face, when had we worked together, we could have put up a united front and shown that we make mistakes, but that we are in fact a community that supports its own.
One of the cardinal rules of activist work is that it isn't the community's responsibility to teach. Lance Bass  has access to plenty of information to why the word "tranny" is grossly unacceptable. This is transphobia 101 stuff, and yet celebrities keep making the same mistakes. Calling on the gay community to "educate" still smacks of privilege: "How do I know unless someone tells me it's wrong?"

However, the part of the community he's referring to is the media: The Advocate, Out, etc. Now to be honest, I didn't this as an "attack," but does the privilege that comes with having a platform that's wide-reaching mean the LGBT media should educate?

No comments:

Post a Comment