Wednesday, September 5, 2012

It's not all about New York. Except when it is.

Writer Rachel Maddux wrote this great piece  on her Tumblr about the ubiquity of New York as the setting in a lot of younger women's writing. She says:
"I am so tired of New York City as a default setting. I am so tired of New York City as the psychological home turf. I am so tired of New York City as an aesthetic choice. I am so tired of the assumption of New York City’s fundamental interestingness. At this point it is actually the most boring thing in the world to me. Oh, you’re a writer? In your 20s? Living in New York? Writing about being a writer and being in your 20s and living in New York? Tell me more! Wait no, do not tell me more, because that is almost literally all I am ever ever told about."
It's not only memoirs and essays, but New York is the default setting in a lot of fiction penned by twenty-somethings. As a Midwesterner -- and an uprootable one at this point, I have no desire, nor the hubris, to write a memoir, but I have written a few short pieces of (yet unpublished) fiction, and I always use the Midwest as a backdrop. Call me corny, but it never occurred to me to trade my provincial background for the glamor of NYC. I had no idea this was a liability.

No comments:

Post a Comment