Monday, October 22, 2012

Liberal bullying? I don't think so.

There's plenty wrong with Ariel Meadow Stalling's post on "liberal bullying " (also known as "call-out culture"), primarily -- as the title indicates --  dismissing the very real concerns of marginalized groups as bullying or trolling. I don't know where to begin. Boldy Go's nuanced and helpful critique of Ariel's post is a good place to start.

The whole tenor of the piece, including the discussion that the followed, most of it praising the post, leaves a bad taste in my mouth. A few years ago, I probably would have agreed with here. I probably have agreed with the "if can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" sentiment on this very blog. Watching the same thing happen repeatedly in the feminist or activist blogosphere, seeing the same names over and over dictate the climate of the community and policing the emotions of those who fail to fit its template, has made me very, very jaded.

For two years I wrote for a site with a large and diverse audience, and I'd been a forum moderator prior. I know maintaining decorum is a big part of having a successful community, but the axiom that "calling someone racist (or sexist or ableist or homophobic) is worse than actually being a racist" is sadly very true in the blog world.

1 comment:

  1. The thing is, though, I've been on the receiving end of what Ariel is talking about. I don't call it bullying. I'm not scarred by it. But what it accomplishes is a squelching of dialogue. I don't feel that I can discuss certain topics because there is an accepted dogmatic point of view. It's like going up against a church. You're either with them or you're with the terrorists. And that's an uncomfortable position.

    I'm not about retreating into my privilege, of which I have plenty. I appreciate being shown when I'm not seeing that. I do want to get better. But I will never be perfect, I will never be doctrinally pure, and I will never stop questioning assumptions, wherever they come from.

    ReplyDelete