Friday, November 23, 2012

So I finished NaNoWriMo. Now What?

Congratulations, you are the proud owner of your very own novel. No matter how illogical, incoherent, disjointed, or just plain awful it is.

I know I promised no more, but this is my final update, I swear. I finished the 50,000 word goal sometime yesterday, with exactly one week to spare. This is the earliest I've ever finished a NaNo novel, and probably the most words I've written in a such a short period. Now here's the bad news: 50,000 words does not a novel make. I'm sticking to my "polishable turd" theory, even if only a few kernels of corn in the turd are actually polishable. I don't entirely hate my story, though large chunks of it are insufferably boring. Boring is a step up from truly awful, and I can work with this, even if it means tons of retooling before I even bring it to a workshop as a rough draft. It's a draft of a draft, and I'm completely okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment