Saturday, March 2, 2013

Writing, not blogging

To the two or three people out there who are still reading this site, yeah, content (you know, the thing that blogs run on) has been pretty skimpy lately. I've been focusing on some non-blog writing, and there simply aren't enough hours in the day to write a full post.

Plus I've been slowly pulling away from the feminist/SJ blogosphere. There are numerous reasons for this, most of which I've gone over several times before, but the assumption that not publicly condemning something means tacit approval has always been a huge pet peeve of mine, and why I was probably never part of it in the first place. I said this yesterday, but the fear of being tethered forever to one wrong comment has pushed a lot of otherwise good people out. Granted, that's more the fault of the medium and not those who use it.

Anyway, I've been focusing more on fiction writing. Camp NaNo sign-up is March 5th for those interested. I know I promote NaNo and NaNo-related activities ad nauseam here, but I think they're largely what you make of them. I've had people tell me that if I need some sort of online prod to actually get myself writing maybe I shouldn't call myself a writer, but those people can suck it. Really.

Here's another fun resource for fiction writers: character questionnaires. (The second one is the Proust Questionnaire. Vanity Fair has an interactive version here.) I used the first set of questions to flesh out some of the characters I've written. Some of them were hard to answer, which probably says more about my own biases than my ability to created believable characters. And I seem to have found the genesis for that dreaded "describe you childhood kitchen" assignment from a writing workshop I did years ago. Yep, it's there.

No comments:

Post a Comment