Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Starter Feminism

I found this five-year-old Feminist post linked on Are Women Human.  It's a good reference point, I think, for some of the problems within the feminist blogosphere, especially for those new to it. (I didn't know Feministe existed in 2007, so the thread is definitely new to me.) I don't agree with Jill's assessment that a lot of the criticisms of Jessica Valenti's book, Full Frontal Feminism, are off-base (some of them are quite valid -- more about that later), but I think she makes an interesting point here:
"Do I want people to be reading Angela Davis and Catherine MacKinnon and Helene Cixous and bell hooks and Judith Butler? Absolutely. But none of the previously mentioned are particularly good starting points. And we’ve gotta start somewhere. That’s what Jessica’s book offers — a gateway into feminism, a starting point for the unfamiliar, a way to make feminism accessible and relevant to women who otherwise would be turned off by it. And she does a phenomenal job."
As someone who came to feminism, at least in part, through "pop feminism, namely Naomi Wolf's The Beauty Myth, and Susan Faludi's Backlash, I'm all for an easily digestible version of it, but I don't think that we should dissuade someone from jumping headfirst into Helene Cixous or Judith Butler. (The problem with the latter isn't just that she's dry and academic, although Judith Butler is those things, it's that she's not a particularly engaging writer.) bell hooks's Feminism is For Everybody I would absolutely recommend as an introduction to feminism. My issue with Full Frontal Feminism (and yes, I have read it), as a sort of Fem 101 text is that it's not a very good one, at least if you want to promote feminism as inclusive to more than just white, cis-and-heterosexual, college-bound young women. Valenti's book may pay lip service to WOC, or queer or working-class women, but it's not the same as having those women writing books or blogs. And it's telling who gets the book deals, and the guest spots on MSNBC and who doesn't.

So here's your question: what book would you recommend to someone just discovering feminism?

No comments:

Post a Comment