Saturday, December 28, 2013

Best Books of 2013

There's an unspoken truth that all things listical should remain between the pages of High Fidelity or confined to annual VH1 shows, but I like best-of lists. And I hate them. And I've been trying to find some year-end book lists that aren't pumping out the same ten titles as everyone else. Here are some of the more interesting ones:

I agree with a lot of Judy Berman's picks , though I didn't find a lot to love about Tampa. I have to respect someone who goes beyond unreliable, and writes a despicable narrator, but I didn't think Tampa was all that well-written. I also though The Flamethrowers was overpraised.

The School Library Journal listed its picks for the best adult books for teens . One of my favorites, Golden Boy, is on it. I was surprised to see it make so few -- if any other. I keep trying to find something wrong with it, other than a somewhat predictable narrative. I think it's the kind of book that falls in that limbo between YA and adult, which makes it hard to market, but I do praise Tarttelin for creating an intersex character who doesn't fall prey to a lot of stereotypes.

And Book Riot's list is one of the most stylistically diverse I've seen mixing fantasy with literary fiction, nonfiction and YA.

No comments:

Post a Comment