Thursday, August 16, 2012

Flyover Feminism

I love the idea of a feminist site geared toward women who live in the not-so progressive part of the United States. It's easy to feel unwelcome, provincial, and wholly unsophisticated when your corner of the world is being painted with some pretty broad brushstrokes, and your concerns aren't being heard. Granted, that doesn't begin to touch on feminism's inclusivity problems, and there has been a lot valid criticism with the starting of yet another feminist blog that caters to, and is run by, white, middle-class, cis bloggers. s.e. smith's take on the controversy provided a lot of insight as to why this is so important:
There’s a sea of commentary about this issue. Often I feel hesitant to comment because I don’t want to add to a pileon, but it seems clear to me that those involved haven’t learned from their past experiences, nor are they interested in applying that learning to future projects. And I feel like legitimate criticism is being dismissed and run under the carpet here, which is not something I’m going to stand for. And given the fact that Garland Grey is my colleague, I feel that it’s especially imperative for me to make it clear that even colleagues can (and should) criticise each other.
As disappointing as this is, I still have high hopes for Flyover Feminism though. I'm pretty familiar with its editors, and I think they've been around the feminist and SJ blogophere long enough to take those criticism very seriously and actively seek a diverse cabal of writers.

No comments:

Post a Comment