Monday, January 17, 2011

Recommended Reading

I made a new Goodreads account specifically for setting up book lists. As I've said before, I don't have an academic background and came to feminism mostly by way of my neighborhood library. Though not exclusively feminist, this is a pretty good list of the works responsible for my feminist awakening, or whatever you want to call it.

I have sort of an ulterior motive for doing this (though I'm a list geek by nature): When I see a list of feminist lit, I immediately check it out. And I'm sometimes disappointed. The big books are almost always there -- the ones usually well-represented in the feminist canon -- but are sometimes presented uncritically, especially the ones littered with thinly veiled racism, homophobia, or transphobia. I try not to read those, or at least, not include them without saying why they're problematic. And it leaves little room for some really great books that get overlooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment