Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Rewind: Lizzy Mercier Descloux - Press Color

I'd like to thank Samantha Cornwell at Visitation Rites for hipping me to Lizzy Mercier Descloux. I have a metric ton of obscure and not-all-that-obscure punk comps, and not one has a song from Lizzy Mercier Descloux.

Born in Paris, raised in Lyon, french singer and musician Lizzy Mercier Descloux released her debut album Press Color in 1979. To call it minimalist would be generous. Press Color straddles the line between worldbeat, punk and dance pop, and remains largely unheard to the music listening public at large.



One of her best-known songs is a cover of Arthur Brown's "Fire." (And this performance includes an unintentional cameo from one Serge Gainsbourg.) Full disclosure: I'm not sure if I really love this, or really hate, but either way, I can't stop listening to it. And let's face it, she looks like the coolest girl in the world here.

No comments:

Post a Comment